You are here
Alaska SeaLife Center Science Director
The Alaska SeaLife Center, which generates and shares scientific knowledge to promote understanding and stewardship of Alaska’s marine ecosystems, is seeking applications for the following:
This position is responsible for the overall Alaska SeaLife Center science program.
Education and Experience Requirements: Ph.D. degree in marine biology, zoology, wildlife biology or a related research field. Fifteen years professional research experience in a related field, including project budgeting and management, with ten years at a supervisory level or the equivalent.
Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
1. Leads the development and coordination of new research directions at the Center involving Center staff, University scientists and scientists with external affiliations.
2. Supports Science staff in expanding competitive grant programs and strengthening scientific productivity.
3. Develops and implements strategic Science plans for the Center.
4. Serves as administrative lead for the Science Advisory Committee (SAC).
5. Makes recommendations to the Center’s President and CEO, SAC and the Board of Directors regarding overall scientific direction and opportunities for enhancing the Center’s scientific program.
6. Works collaboratively with the Education Director to integrate Science and Education programs.
7. Supervises personnel matters within the Science Department. Assigns and checks work, establishes schedules, sets deadlines, and delegates authority. Sets performance standards for staff. Prepares annual performance evaluations. Makes personnel related recommendations to the President and CEO.
8. May develop a personal research program at the Center in addition to his/her department leadership responsibilities.
This is a half-time position; development of an externally funded personal research program could result in a full-time position. ASLC offers a competitive wage (DOE) and benefits package.
Open until filled: Reviews to begin February 20, 2015
Start Date: Negotiable
All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.